How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
WHEN IT FIRST BECAME CODE
Wednesday, June 5, 2019
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about when current construction standards FIRST BECAME CODE:
• What is plumbing venting? When was venting first required for plumbing drain systems?
• When did the first Florida Building Code (FBC) begin and become effective?
• When did the requirement for two 20-amp kitchen counter appliance circuits begin?
• When was it first required that 240-volt receptacles for a clothes dryer and range be four slot (equipment ground connection)?
• Is the latest edition of the National Electrical Code (NEC) the standard used for the electrical system of new homes?
• When was GFCI-protection for kitchen dishwasher receptacle outlet first required?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required?
• When was the current receptacle/outlet spacing of 12-feet first required?
• When was pool bonding first required by code?
• When did arc fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) breakers first become required?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required in the garage?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required in bathrooms?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required in the kitchen?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required near bathtubs and showers?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required in balconies, decks, and porches?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required in a laundry room?
• When were exterior (outdoor) receptacle outlets first required to be GFCI?
• When were receptacle outlets near a pool first required to be GFCI?
• When were receptacle outlets in the crawlspace under a home first required to be GFCI?
• When was a fire separation in the attic first required between sides of a duplex?
• What year were mobile homes required to become more storm resistant?
• When does the ban on R-22 air conditioning refrigerant take effect?
• What year did HUD first begin enforcing the HUD-code standards for mobile/manufactured homes?
• When were home inspectors first required to be licensed in Florida?
• When was a gas water heater first required to be elevated 18 inches above a garage floor?
• When did the code first set a limit of one neutral wire (grounded conductor) connection per lug/set-screw in an electric panel?
• When were smoke detectors/alarms first required in Florida?
• Why is the National Electrical Code (NEC) so hard to understand and complicated?
• When was an electrical receptacle outlet for laundry equipment (washing machine) on a separate, dedicated electrical circuit first required by code?
• When were shower control valves first required by code to be pressure balanced and temperature limiting?
• When were the water control valves for bathtubs first required to be temperature limiting (single handle)?
• When did AFCI protection first become required for most rooms in a house?
• When did AFCI protection first become required for kitchens and laundry rooms?
• When was a vacuum breaker first required by code for hose bibbs?
• When were electrical panels banned from installation in closets?
• When were electrical panels banned from installation in bathrooms?
• When did the requirement for clearance in front of an electrical panel become code?
• When were Edison Base (non-tamper-proof) fuse holders banned by code?
• When was metal water pipe banned as the sole ground electrode for a house electrical system?
• When was a receptacle outlet for a washing machine first required by code?
• When was polybutylene pipe banned?
• When was the current spacing for kitchen counter receptacles first required?
• When was two 20-amp circuits for kitchen small appliances first required?
• When did tamper resistant receptacle outlets become required by code?
• When was the three-slot (grounding) outlet/receptacle first required?
• When was a disconnect within sight of an air conditioner or heat pump first required?
• When did Florida start requiring re-nailing of roof deck sheathing for a roof replacement?
• When were staples banned for roof sheathing attachment in Florida?
• When did the Florida code start requiring roof sheathing nails to be ring-shank instead of smooth?
• When did code require replacement of cloth wiring in home?
• When were emergency egress windows first required by code?
• When was a kitchen refrigerator receptacle outlet first required to be GFCI-protected?
• When did the code change from minimum one receptacle per garage to one receptacle per garage vehicle bay?
• When did the building code first required safety/tempered glass for sliding glass doors, glass shower doors, and low windows in walking areas?
• When were water heater thermal expansion tanks first required by code?
• When did Florida stop allowing gray water to be used for landscape irrigation?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.