The HUD-Code (24 CFR 3280 and 3285) and the Florida Administrative Code (Chapters 15C-1 and 15C-2), both of which cover the the manufacturing and installation standards for mobile/manufactured homes, do not require ground treatment for termites under a new mobile home. The only reference to termite protection is in the HUD-Code [24 CFR 3285.504(c)], shown below. But the HUD guidelines for mortgage approval of an FHA loan for a new mobile home specifically require it. Here’s an excerpt below. We did not find any documentation of a similar requirement for a VA loan, but it usually follows—or is more strict than—the FHA standards. There are some colder areas of the country that are exempted from the termite soil treatment because subterranean termites cannot survive there. Click on the link for a complete list of the areas.
TERMITE TREATMENT EXCEPTION AREAS
Should you do it anyway if your home will be sited in a termite-prone area, even if it is not required? Definitely, yes.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
To learn more about termites, see these other blog posts:
• Should I be worried about termites if my neighbor's house is being tented?
• Is the WDO (termite) inspector allowed to poke holes in my wood siding and trim?
• Do carpenter ants cause structural damage to houses in Florida?
• How long before closing can you have a WDO (termite) inspection done?
• How long does Bora-Care® last?
• Why is it a mistake to store lumber in the crawl space under a house?
• Does the presence of carpenter ants in a house indicate that there are probably also termites?
• How do termites infest a house and remain hidden while doing major damage?
• Are homes in Florida required to have termite protection?
• If termite damage appears to be old, does that mean that termites may no longer be present?
• How do I know if my WDO/termite report is "clear"?
• When do termites swarm in Florida?
• Does a recent termite company inspection sticker mean there are no termites?
• Can a mobile/manufactured home get termites?
• Do I have to tent the house if I have termites?
• What is the difference between a subterranean termite and a drywood termite?
• What are the green plastic discs in the ground around the house?
• What is a termite shield?
• How do termites get into a concrete block house?
• Do termites eat concrete?
• What is a clean WDO?
• What do termites eat?
• How do I treat wood rot that's listed in my termite-WDO report?
• Do I really need a termite-WDO inspection?
• What's causing those holes in the fascia?
• Does wood chip mulch in the yard attract termites?
• I think I have termites. What does a termite look like?
• I'm buying a concrete block house. Do I still need a termite inspection?
• I saw a little termite damage on the baseboard. Should I be concerned?
• Why do termite inspectors tap the wood siding and baseboard wood in a home?
Visit our MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES and TERMITES, WOOD ROT AND PESTS pages for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.