How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the average life expectancy of a fiberglass swimming pool?
Saturday, December 28, 2019
How long does a fiberglass swimming pool last?
You can expect a fiberglass swimming pool to last about 25 to 35 years, average of 30 years. The quality of construction and maintenance are the two variables that affect pool life span the most. For a comparison with concrete and liner pools, see our blog post What are the pros and cons of vinyl liner vs fiberglass vs concrete in-ground pools?
Here’s a bar graph comparing the life expectancy of fiberglass to other types of pool construction.
Go to our blog post What is the average lifespan of the parts of a house? for rating of other house components. To understand the basis, potential use, and limitations of lifespan ratings, see our blog post How accurate are the average life expectancy ratings of home components? Are they actually useful?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Also, here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about pools and spas:
• Does an above-ground pool require a building permit?
• How long does a pool finish last?
• How can I tell if my pool is no longer level?
• Does an above-ground pool have to comply with code requirements for a swimming pool barrier?
• Can a pool with green, cloudy water be inspected?
• Should I refinish-resurface my pool with paint or plaster?
• Why are pool pumps now required to be variable speed?
• What are the clearance requirements for an overhead electric service drop that is directly over or near a swimming pool?
• Is the deteriorated finish of a concrete pool shell only a cosmetic problem?
• When was pool bonding first required by code?
• When was it first required for pool pumps to have GFCI protection?
• How do I determine the age of an AquaCal pool/spa heat pump from the serial number?
• When were receptacle outlets near a pool first required to be GFCI?
• What is the code requirement for ceiling (paddle) fans near or above a swimming pool?
• How can I tell if my pool is leaking?
Visit our POOL AND SPA and LIFE EXPECTANCY pages for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
NOTE: These life expectancies are based on data provided by InterNACHI, NAHB, FannieMae, and our own professional experience. Because of the numerous variables that can affect a lifespan, they should be used as rough guidelines only, and not relied upon as a warranty or guarantee of future performance.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.