You can expect a ceiling fan to last 6 to 10 years. Most ceiling fans today are sealed units, but some require an annual addition of oil at a port on the top of the the motor housing near the downrod. Also, an interior-rated ceiling fan at an exterior location will have a shorter life.
The number of on/off cycles of a ceiling fan motor, just like any other electric motor, is actually more of a factor of its lifespan than hours of usage. To learn more about ceiling fans, click on any of the links below.
• Why are my ceiling fan blades drooping?
• How does a home inspector check the ceiling fans?
• What is the minimum height of a ceiling fan above the floor?
• What is the code requirement for ceiling (paddle) fans near or above a swimming pool?
Go to our blog post What is the average lifespan of the parts of a house? for rating of other house components. To understand the basis, potential use, and limitations of lifespan ratings, see our blog post How accurate are the average life expectancy ratings of home components? Are they actually useful?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about APPLIANCES:
• What are the building code requirements for installing an appliance (furnace, air handler, water heater) in the attic?
• Which house appliances need a dedicated electrical circuit?
• Is a washing machine drain hose required to be secured at the standpipe?
• When was GFCI-protection for kitchen dishwasher receptacle outlet first required?
• Why does venting a clothes dryer into a garage, attic, or crawl space cause problems?
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• My spa tub stopped working. What's wrong?
• What is the maximum recommended height above the floor for an above-the-range microwave?
• Why would a home have natural gas appliaces but no gas meter?
• Is a hot water faucet required at a washing machine?
• Can I remove a 240-volt range receptacle and hard-wire the range?
• Can a dishwasher be wired to a kitchen counter small appliance receptacle circuit?
• Why is it bad to have a clothes dryer vent near an air conditioning condenser (outdoor unit)?
• Do home inspectors test the appliances?
• What are the most common defects with over-the-range microwaves?
• Are a range and refrigerator required kitchen appliances for a house to pass FHA inspection?
• What are the code requirements for an outdoor dryer vent cover?
• What is the maximum length for a clothes dryer vent?
• How do you inspect a dryer vent?
• Why is there a water hose connected to the back of the clothes dryer?
Visit our APPLIANCES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.