How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the average life expectancy an EPDM roof?
Tuesday, December 10, 2019
How long does an EPDM roof last?
An EPDM roof can be expected to last 20 to 30 years, with an average of 23 years. Possibly longer with diligent maintenance. EPDM stands for Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer. It is a synthetic rubber membrane and, like any membrane roof, punctures from walking or dragging anything over the surface; but, if leaks occur, they are often at the glued seams. UV-light deterioration has been a problem, but newer formulations of the material are more UV-resistant.
It is also classified as a cool roof when installed with white side up and EPDM does not leach any contaminants into the rainwater that flows over it and off the roof, unlike asphalt/bituminous roofing. So it can be specified for “green” homes with rainwater catchment systems. To learn more, go tour blog post What is an EPDM roof?
Here’s a bar graph that compares EPDM life expectancy to other types of roof coverings.
Go to our blog post What is the average lifespan of the parts of a house? for rating of other house components. To understand the basis, potential use, and limitations of lifespan ratings, see our blog post How accurate are the average life expectancy ratings of home components? Are they actually useful?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about “FLAT ROOFS (LOW SLOPE)":
• What causes bubble-like blisters in a built-up and gravel roof?
• Why does it cost so much more to replace a steep roof than a low slope roof?
• What is "ponding" on a flat roof?
• Why is there no attic access hatch in the house?
• What is the difference between roll roofing and modified bitumen?
• What is the purpose of the gravel on a flat tar roof?
• Can metal roofing be used on a low slope/pitch roof?
• Does a gravel roof need maintenance?
• What is the average lifespan of a built-up and gravel roof?
• What is the average lifespan of a modified bitumen roof?
• What is the average life expectancy of a TPO (Thermoplastic PolyOlefin) roof?
• I'm buying a '50s modern house with a "gravel" roof. Is the roof going to be a problem?
Visit our ROOF AND ATTIC page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
NOTE: These life expectancies are based on data provided by InterNACHI, NAHB, FannieMae, and our own professional experience. Because of the numerous variables that can affect a lifespan, they should be used as rough guidelines only, and not relied upon as a warranty or guarantee of future performance.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.