You can expect a concrete swimming pool to last about 25 to 40 years, fiberglass 25 to 35 years, and a vinyl liner 7 to 10 years. The quality of construction and maintenance, specifically maintaining balanced pool water chemistry, are the variables that affect pool lifespan the most.
Concrete - 25 to 40 years
Concrete Pool Interior Finish - 9 to 16 years
Fiberglass - 25 to 35 years
Fiberglass Pool Interior Finish - 15 to 18 years
Vinyl Liner - 7 to 10 years
Pool Pump and Filter - 10 years
Pool Heater - 8 to 10 years
Go to our blog post What is the average lifespan of the parts of a house? for rating of other house components. To understand the basis, potential use, and limitations of lifespan ratings, see our blog post How accurate are the average life expectancy ratings of home components? Are they actually useful?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Also, here’s links to a collection of some of our blog other posts about pools and spas:
• What are the pros and cons of vinyl liner vs fiberglas vs concrete in-ground pools?
• Should I refinish-resurface my pool with paint or plaster?
• Why are pool pumps now required to be variable speed?
• How long does a pool finish last?
• How can I tell if my pool is leaking?
• How can I tell if my pool is no longer level?
• Does an above-ground pool require a building permit?
• Does an above-ground pool have to comply with code requirements for a swimming pool barrier?
• Can a pool with green, cloudy water be inspected?
• What are the clearance requirements for an overhead electric service drop that is directly over or near a swimming pool?
• Is the deteriorated finish of a concrete pool shell only a cosmetic problem?
• When was pool bonding first required by code?
• When was it first required for pool pumps to have GFCI protection?
• When were receptacle outlets near a pool first required to be GFCI?
• What is the code requirement for ceiling (paddle) fans near or above a swimming pool?
Visit our POOL AND SPA and LIFE EXPECTANCY pages for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.