No, a modular home will not have that familiar red HUD tag on the exterior wall, like the one shown above. Modular homes are not built under HUD supervision like a manufactured/mobile home. They are constructed to meet the local building code for their location, the same as a site-built single family home.
There is usually also a state agency that has additional supervision over modular home production. In the the state of Florida, it’s the Department of Community Affairs and the home will have a small “DCA” sticker posted inside, usually in the master bedroom closet or the inside cabinet door under the kitchen sink. See our blog post Does a modular home have a serial number? to learn more.
Next to the DCA sticker, a modular home will also have a data plate that is about 8.5” x 11”, with key information about the manufacture of the home. It is similar to the one required for mobile/manufactured homes, but will not have a U.S. map with wind and roof zones outlined. The data plate sometimes gets removed or painted over during a remodeling of an older modular.
For more ways in which a mobile/manufacted and modular home differ, go to our blog post How can I tell the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES:
• Where can I file a complaint if I have problems with my new or used manufactured/mobile home in Florida?
• What are the most common defects in mobile/manufactured home foundation piers?
• How do I determine the age of a very old mobile home?
• What is a "HUD label verification letter" for a mobile/manufactured home?
• When did a ground cover vapor barrier (plastic sheet) become required under a mobile/manufactured home?
• Is it safe to go under a mobile home?
• Are older mobile homes unsafe?
• What do I need to know about buying a foreclosed mobile home?
• Does it make sense to buy an older mobile home and remodel it?
• Where do I find the vehicle identification number (VIN) on a mobile home?
• How do I find out how old a mobile home is and who manufactured it?
• What is the right price for a used mobile home?
• How energy efficient is a mobile home?
• When were the first double-wide mobile homes manufactured?
• How do I upgrade my old (pre-1976) mobile home to meet HUD standards?
• What size air conditioner is right for my mobile home?
• What does the HUD tag look like and where do I find it on a mobile home?
• Can you put a zone 1 mobile home in Florida?
• How can I remove water under my mobile home?
• What's the differences between a trailer, a mobile home, a manufactured home, and a modular home?
• How many people live in mobile/manufactured homes in America?
• What is a D-sticker mobile home?
• What are the tie-down requirements for a mobile home?
• How fireproof is a mobile home?
• Can I install a mobile home myself?
• What is a Park Model mobile home?
• Does an addition to a mobile home have to comply with the HUD Code?
• What walls can I remove in a mobile home?
• What can I do to prevent dampness and mold in my mobile home?
• How can I tell the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home?
Visit our MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.