How To Look At A House

McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of  

site-built, mobile/manufactured and modular homes

Should I call a plumber or septic tank contractor for septic tank backup?

Sunday, September 23, 2018

If the backup is actually caused by an overflowing septic tank, call a septic system contractor. But the problem may be a clog in the drain pipe running to the septic tank, in which case you need a plumber. To determine which it is, locate the cleanout and open it. The cleanout is a short PVC pipe located between the house and the septic tank that sticks out of the ground or is flush with it, and has a threaded, removable cap.

   Look down into the cleanout. If there is no standing water in the bottom, then the problem is a clog between the house and the cleanout. You should call a plumber. But standing water in the main drain pipe at the bottom of the cleanout riser indicates that you have either an overflowing septic tank or a clog between the cleanout and the tank.

   If you know the location of your septic tank and are willing to dig up and remove the lid of the tank, then you can look down into the open tank for a final answer. This step is not recommended for the faint-hearted. Also, do you put your face close to or in the tank opening, because you can be overcome by methane gas; and, for safety, it is recommended that you have someone with you when you open the tank. 

    If the liquid level in the tank is high (near or at the top of the tank), then you need to call a septic contractor. A normal level indicates a clog between the cleanout and the tank—work for a plumber.

   If you can’t find the cleanout or open the tank to check the liquid level, then it’s not possible to be sure who to call. But the age of the system will help you determine the most likely right choice. If your septic system is 25 years or older, call a septic tank contractor. If newer, the odds are better that it’s a plumbing problem.

    Also, see our blog posts How often should I pump out the septic tank? and What can I add to my septic tank to help it work better?

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 

  To learn more about septic tank systems, see these other blog posts:

What are the building code requirements for gray water reuse in Florida?

Why do septic tank contractors want you to get rid of your kitchen disposal? 

Do I have to get a larger septic tank when I build a home addition? 

• Where is the septic tank? Are you going to inspect it? 

• Can a house have more than one septic tank?

• What is the difference between gray water and black water in the plumbing code? 

• Is it alright to disconnect the washing machine drain from the septic tank and divert it to the ground in the yard?

   Visit our PLUMBING page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.

Water Heaters

Water Heater Age

"What Are The

Signs Of..."

Septic Tank Systems

Structure and Rooms

Plumbing Pipes

Termites, Wood Rot

& Pests



When It First

Became Code

"Should I Buy A..."

Park Model Homes


Shingle Roofs




Wind Mitigation

Roof and Attic

"Does A Home


Pool and Spa

"What Is The Difference Between..."




Concrete and

Concrete Block

Metal Roofs


Modular Homes

Rain Gutters

Mold, Lead & Other Contaminants


Older and

Historic Houses

Crawl Spaces

Mobile-Manufactured Homes

Building Permits

Life Expectancy

Clay Soil





Exterior Walls

& Structures


Common Problems

HUD-Code for

Mobile Homes

Garages and Carports

Flat (Low Slope) Roofs

Electrical Panels

Sprinkler Systems

Electrical Receptacle Outlets

4-Point Inspections

Hurricane Resistance

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Home Inspection

Heating and Air Conditioning

Building Codes

Fireplaces and Chimneys

Inspector Licensing

& Standards

Energy Efficiency

Washers and Dryers



Doors and Windows



Electrical Wiring

Click Below  

for Links

to Collections

of Blog Posts

by Subject

Plumbing Drains

and Traps


Smoke & CO Alarms

Aging in Place

Top 5 results given instantly.

Click on magnifying glass

for all search results.






Air Conditioner & Furnace Age/Size


Electrical Switches





Water Intrusion

Electrical - Old

and Obsolete


Foundation Certifications

Tiny Houses

About McGarry and Madsen



Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a  team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.

Moisture Problems

Crawl Spaces