How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Do I need a building permit for a backyard shed?
Friday, August 10, 2018
Regulations vary according to local ordinances. Many jurisdictions require a building permit for any shed, no matter what the size, and prefab kits are not exempt. However, it is worthwhile to check with your local building department first. In the City of Gainesville, Florida, for example, a prefab kit shed of less than 100 square feet that is constructed within the property setbacks does not require a building permit.
If you live in a neighborhood with a Home Owner’s Association (HOA), there may be additional restrictions to comply with. But, whether you obtain a building permit or not, it’s important to build your shed on a sturdy foundation, either a wood platform or concrete slab. Many shed kits come with floor panels that look like they might be sufficient, but they do not provide an adequate tie-down or stability from minor soil movement beneath the shed. Also, it is difficult to square and level a kit shed to get the components to fit together correctly when it is built directly on the ground.
Also, see our blog post What are the most common problems when a homeowner encloses a porch without a building permit?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about REMODELING:
• What are the problems to look for when buying a homeowner remodeled house?
• Does it make sense to buy an older mobile home and remodel it?
• Can I leave a gas water heater in place when remodeling a garage into a family room or bedroom?
• How can I tell the difference between a renovation project house and a tear-down?
• How can I tell the difference between a fixer-upper with potential and a money pit?
• How difficult is it to change a window to french doors or a sliding glass door?
• How do I find a good contractor?
• What home improvements require a permit?
Visit our REMODELING page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.