How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What type water supply and drain (DWV) pipes were commonly used for 1980s residential plumbing?
Friday, July 6, 2018
The big news of the 1980s was two new plastic water supply pipes, CPVC and PB, but copper continued to be the preferred water pipe.
Copper was most common pipe.
CPVC (cream-color plastic) was introduced in 1985.
PB (gray plastic, shown above) pipe use grew rapidly during the 1980s, due to its low cost and simple installation, especially in mobile homes.
PVC (white plastic) used for water service piping to house (not inside), and other exterior locations.
ABS (black plastic) was extensively used, but not as popular as PVC.
PVC (white plastic) was most the common DWV pipe.
Looking for the pipes used in a different decade? Click below for the one you want.
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1990s 2000s Today
See our blog post for What do the ABS, PVC, CPVC, PB, and PEX plumbing pipe names mean? for the chemical composition behind all those acronyms. Also, you might want to read How can I tell what type of plumbing pipe I have? and What is the difference between water pipe and sewage (waste) pipe? and Are plastic pipes (PVC, CPVC, and PEX) safe for drinking water?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about PLUMBING PIPES:
• What is the average life expectancy of ABS pipe?
• What is the difference between PVC and ABS plumbing pipe?
Cast Iron Pipe
• What is the average life expectancy of cast iron pipe?
• How can I tell if I have cast iron pipes in my house?
• What is the average life expectancy of copper pipe?
• Should I use a dielectric union or brass nipple to connect copper tubing and galvanized steel pipe?
• What problems are caused by connecting copper pipe/tubing directly to galvanized steel pipe?
• What is the average life expectancy of CPVC pipe?
• Can you connect CPVC pipe directly to a gas water heater?
• What is the average life expectancy of galvanized steel pipe?
• Why is old galvanized steel water pipe a problem for homebuyers?
• What is a galvanized nipple?
• Should I buy a house with galvanized steel water pipes?
• Can galvanized steel pipe still be used for new water lines in a house?
Orangeburg (bituminous fiber) Pipe
• What is the average life expectancy of Orangeburg (bituminous fiber) pipe?
• Why is Orangeburg sewer pipe a problem and how do I know if I have it?
• What is the average life expectancy of PEX pipe?
• Can PEX pipe be installed outside?
• Is PEX pipe freeze resistant?
PB (Polybutylene) Pipe
• What does polybutylene pipe look like? Why is it a problem?
• Does a "QEST" brand mark on pipe mean that it is polybutylene (PB)?
• What is the average life expectancy of PVC pipe?
• Why is sunlight exposure bad for PVC pipe?
• Why can't PVC be used for water pipe inside a house?
• What is the difference between green and white sewer drain pipes?
Visit our PLUMBING page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.