Where can I file a complaint if I have problems with my new or used manufactured/mobile home in Florida?

Monday, June 11, 2018

Start With Dealer Or Manufacturer

“It’s best to first go to the dealer or manufacturer about the problems you’re having, of course,” according to Vickie Ladd, who coordinates complaint resolution for the Manufactured Housing Section of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. “But, if you are not satisfied, there is a one-year warranty period required by Florida Statute and you can file a complaint with us.”

    Call for help at (813) 302-5036, or download a complaint form at http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Forms/BMHRV/81095.pdf. Allow 2 to 4 weeks after you file your written complaint for them to make an appointment for a Compliance Examiner to visit your home and review your unresolved issues.

Minimum Requirements For Complaint

    Here are some specific requirements and limitations of the complaint process, all of which is governed by Florida Statue 320.836:

  •  You must have already submitted a complaint in writing to the dealer or manufacturer stating the substance of the warranty defect, and then supply documentation of it with your complaint registration packet to the state.
  •  Warranty term on the home is one year from issuance of certificate of occupancy by location jurisdiction (not the date of sale).
  •  If your home is over one year old and produced by a Florida manufacturer, they will notify the manufacturer of the complaint for their follow-up with the Federal (HUD) program, and will advise you of their findings.
  •  If your home is over one year old and produced by an out-of-state manufacturer, they will notify the HUD State Administrative Agency (SAA) in the state of manufacture, which will follow up with the factory.
  •  Florida’s jurisdiction is limited to structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, heating, fire and life safety. They have no jurisdiction over non-structural, cosmetic items such as floor coverings, panel blemishes, and paint colors, for example.
  •  If you purchased a used home, it must have been from a Florida licensed dealer. The state has no jurisdiction over private sales, and is limited to contractual agreements provided by the selling dealer, and also restricted to problems regarding the installation of the home (not the construction) for used homes.
  •  All sale agreements must be in writing. Verbal, non-documented agreements are not acceptable.

    If all this sounds like a you might be entering a bureaucratic maze that will end up going nowhere, take heart. “These people do not like hearing from us,” says Vickie. “We hold their licenses to do business in Florida and also a performance bond. They are usually very responsive.”

Complaints Outside Of Florida

     Other states have similar dispute resolution programs, and you can find a list of them at http://www.huddrp.net/contact-a-state/.

Complaints About Mobile Home Park Owner

    To file a complaint about a Florida mobile home park owner, see our blog post ”Where can I file a complaint about a mobile home park owner?"

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES:

 What are the most common defects in mobile/manufactured home foundation piers?

• Does the building code apply to mobile homes? 

How do I determine the age of a very old mobile home?

What is a "HUD label verification letter" for a mobile/manufactured home?  

When did a ground cover vapor barrier (plastic sheet) become required under a mobile/manufactured home? 

Is it safe to go under a mobile home? 

Are older mobile homes unsafe? 

What do I need to know about buying a foreclosed mobile home? 

Does it make sense to buy an older mobile home and remodel it? 

Where do I find the vehicle identification number (VIN) on a mobile home? 

How do I find out how old a mobile home is and who manufactured it?

What is the right price for a used mobile home?

How energy efficient is a mobile home?

When were the first double-wide mobile homes manufactured?

How do I upgrade my old (pre-1976) mobile home to meet HUD standards?

What size air conditioner is right for my mobile home? 

Can you move an older mobile home in Florida? 

What does the HUD tag look like and where do I find it on a mobile home? 

Can you put a zone 1 mobile home in Florida?

How can I remove water under my mobile home?

What walls can I remove in a mobile home?

What can I do to prevent dampness and mold in my mobile home? 

How can I tell if a mobile home is well constructed?

• How can I tell the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home?

       Visit our MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES  page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles. 

How To Look At A House

McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of  

site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes






Air Conditioner & Furnace Age/Size




Aging in Place


Click Below  

for Links

to Collections

of Blog Posts

by Subject


Doors and Windows


Energy Efficiency

Fireplaces and Chimneys

Heating and Air Conditioning

Home Inspection

Hurricane Resistance

Electrical Receptacle Outlets

Electrical Panels

Garages and Carports

Common Problems

Exterior Walls & Structures



Life Expectancy

Mobile/Manufactured Homes

Older and

Historic Houses

Mold, Lead & Other Contaminants

Modular Homes

Metal Roofs



Pool and Spa

Roof and Attic




"Should I Buy A..."


Termites, Wood Rot

& Pests

Structure and Rooms


Water Heaters

Water Heater Age

Septic Tank Systems

Plumbing Pipes


When It First

Became Code

Park Model Homes

Shingle Roofs


Wind Mitigation Form

"Does A Home


"What Is The Difference Between..."


Concrete and

Concrete Block


Rain Gutters


Crawl Spaces

Building Permits

Clay Soil




HUD-Code for

Mobile Homes

Flat (Low Slope) Roofs

Sprinkler Systems

4-Point Inspections

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Building Codes

Inspector Licensing

& Standards

Washers and Dryers



Electrical Wiring

Plumbing Drains

and Traps

Smoke & CO Alarms

Top 5 results given instantly.

Click on magnifying glass

for all search results.



Electrical Switches


Water Intrusion

Electrical - Old

and Obsolete

Foundation Certifications

Tiny Houses

About Us