How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manufactured and modular homes
Where are gas water heaters not allowed to be installed?
Wednesday, June 13, 2018
Because a gas water heater is defined as a “fuel-fired” appliance by the International Residential Code (IRC) and the Residential Edition of the Florida Building Code (FBC M2005.2), there are life-safety concerns relating to making sure that combustion gases are exhausted outside the living area, providing adequate air for combustion without depleting the oxygen in the living area of the home, and preventing the water heater from igniting a house fire.
Where A Gas Water Heater Cannot Be Installed
• A gas water heater must not be installed in a room used as a storage closet. This also means that a dedicated water heater closet should not later have stuff stored in it.
Where a Gas Water Heater Can Be Installed, But With Limitations
• Water heaters cannot be installed in a bedroom or bathroom unless in a sealed enclosure (closet) that has combustion provided from outside the living area. Direct-vent water heaters are exempt from the enclosure requirement because they are a sealed system specifically designed to use outdoor air for combustion.
• Gas water heaters installed in an attic or underfloor crawl space are permitted to have access through a closet in a sleeping room (bedroom) or bathroom as long as ventilation of those spaces is in accordance with the building code.
• A gas tank water heater cannot be located in the garage unless it is Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR) or elevated 18-inches off the floor, to protect against igniting any gasoline fumes that might collect near the floor of the garage (FBC P2801.6). All new water heaters are FVIR rated. Also, if the gas water heater is located in the path of a car entering the garage, a stanchion or roll-stop must installed in front of the water heater to protect the gas line from unintentional impact.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of more blog posts about WATER HEATERS:
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.