How To Look At A House

McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of  

site-built, mobile/manufactured and modular homes

What is a HUD data plate/performance certificate for a mobile/manufactured home?

Thursday, June 14, 2018

The HUD data plate (HUD calls it a performance certificate) is usually located on the wall of the master bedroom closet or inside of a cabinet door in the kitchen. But if you can’t find it and need a duplicate for insurance, financing, or sale of the home, you can get one from IBTS (Institute for Building Technology and Safety). You must provide them with the HUD tag number or serial/VIN number for the home.

   The HUD tag (also called HUD label or red tag) is located near the bottom of the end of one of the long walls of the home. A double or triple-wide will have multiple tags. The serial/VIN number is etched into the front face of the front cross-beam of the steel undercarriage.

   Their fee, as of December, 2017, is $100 for email delivery of a duplicate data plate. If they cannot provide a data plate, they will send a performance certificate. It takes two weeks for processing, and there are extra fees for rush service (2 to 3 days) and delivery of a paper copy of the form. You can apply online at Because they occasionally change the format of their site, this link may not still be valid when you try it, so we suggest going to the home page at and navigating from there if you have a problem.

    The data plate/performance certificate provides the following information about the home: 

  •  Serial/VIN number
  •  Date of manufacture
  •  Name of manufacturer and plant location
  •  Wind zone, roof load zone, and thermal zone

    It does not confirm the HUD tag number. You have to order their separate “HUD Label Verification Letter” for an additional fee to receive that information. See our blog post What is a "HUD label verification letter" for a mobile/manufactured home? for more info on label verification letters.

    A couple of final notes: data is only available for mobile/manufactured homes produced after June 15, 1976, which is when HUD took over responsibility of construction standards. Also, IBTS does not keep records for modular homes. 

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Want to learn more about inspecting
manufactured/mobile homes? 
Get our  Handbook for 
Manufactured Home Inspectors 
at for $19.95

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES:

Where can I file a complaint if I have problems with my new or used manufactured/mobile home in Florida?

 What are the most common defects in mobile/manufactured home foundation piers?

How do I determine the age of a very old mobile home?

• Does the building code apply to mobile homes?  

What is a "HUD label verification letter" for a mobile/manufactured home?  

When did a ground cover vapor barrier (plastic sheet) become required under a mobile/manufactured home? 

Where do I find the vehicle identification number (VIN) on a mobile home? 

How do I find out how old a mobile home is and who manufactured it?

What is the right price for a used mobile home?

How energy efficient is a mobile home?

When were the first double-wide mobile homes manufactured?

How do I upgrade my old (pre-1976) mobile home to meet HUD standards?

What size air conditioner is right for my mobile home? 

Can you move an older mobile home in Florida? 

What does the HUD tag look like and where do I find it on a mobile home? 

Can you put a zone 1 mobile home in Florida?

How can I remove water under my mobile home?

What's the differences between a trailer, a mobile home, a manufactured home, and a modular home? 

What is a D-sticker mobile home? 

What are the tie-down requirements for a mobile home?

How fireproof is a mobile home?  

Can I install a mobile home myself?

What is a Park Model mobile home?  

       Visit our MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES  page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.

Water Heaters

Water Heater Age

"What Are The

Signs Of..."

Septic Tank Systems

Structure and Rooms

Plumbing Pipes

Termites, Wood Rot

& Pests



When It First

Became Code

"Should I Buy A..."

Park Model Homes


Shingle Roofs




Wind Mitigation

Roof and Attic

"Does A Home


Pool and Spa

"What Is The Difference Between..."




Concrete and

Concrete Block

Metal Roofs


Modular Homes

Rain Gutters

Mold, Lead & Other Contaminants


Older and

Historic Houses

Crawl Spaces

Mobile-Manufactured Homes

Building Permits

Life Expectancy

Clay Soil





Exterior Walls

& Structures


Common Problems

HUD-Code for

Mobile Homes

Garages and Carports

Flat (Low Slope) Roofs

Electrical Panels

Sprinkler Systems

Electrical Receptacle Outlets

4-Point Inspections

Hurricane Resistance

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Home Inspection

Heating and Air Conditioning

Building Codes

Fireplaces and Chimneys

Inspector Licensing

& Standards

Energy Efficiency

Washers and Dryers



Doors and Windows



Electrical Wiring

Click Below  

for Links

to Collections

of Blog Posts

by Subject

Plumbing Drains

and Traps


Smoke & CO Alarms

Aging in Place

Top 5 results given instantly.

Click on magnifying glass

for all search results.






Air Conditioner & Furnace Age/Size


Electrical Switches





Water Intrusion

Electrical - Old

and Obsolete


Foundation Certifications

Tiny Houses

About McGarry and Madsen



Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a  team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.

Moisture Problems

Crawl Spaces