What are the building code requirements for the location of a shutoff valve for a gas appliance?

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Although a shutoff valve for a gas appliance is considered a service valve and not an emergency shutoff, the Residential Edition of the Florida Building Code [FBC G2420(409)] and the International Residential Code (IRC) outline specific requirements for them:

• WITHIN THE SAME ROOM - The shutoff valve must be located in the same room and within 6 feet of the appliance, and upstream of the connection to the appliance. 

• ACCESS - Shutoff valves should be located where there is access for operation and they are protected from damage. “Access,” as defined by the code, means that a removable cover panel is allowed. A gas shutoff serving a movable gas appliance (like a gas range or clothes dryer) is considered accessible when installed behind the appliance.

• TWO EXCEPTIONS - 1) Shutoffs for vented decorative appliances, room heaters, and decorative appliances for installation in a vented gas fireplaces are permitted to be installed in an area remote from the appliance. The remote valve must be permanently identified and not serve any other appliance. The key word here is “vented,” so an unvented gas fireplace is not given this exception.

2) Where the appliance shutoff valve is located at a manifold, the valve must be located within 50 feet of the appliance, readily accessible, and permanently identified.

• FIREPLACE FIREBOX SHUTOFF - A shutoff in a fireplace firebox must be located in accordance with the appliance manufacturer’s instructions.

• PROHIBITED LOCATIONS - Shutoff valves cannot be located in furnace plenums or concealed locations. A “concealed location” is defined by the fuel gas code as a location that cannot be accessed without damaging permanent parts of the building structure or finish surfaces. Spaces above, below, or behind readily removable panels or doors are not considered concealed. A concealed location may be defined differently in codes other than the fuel gas code.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 

Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about PLUMBING PIPES:

What are the code requirements for layout of drain piping under sinks?

What causes a gurgling sound when a bathtub or sink drains? 

What is a "combination waste and vent" in a plumbing system? 

What is a building trap?  

What is a galvanized nipple?

What are the pipes sticking out near my water valves?

How do you accurately find a broken water pipe leak under the floor slab?

What is the difference between water pipe and sewage (waste) pipe? 

Are plastic pipes (PVC, CPVC, and PEX) safe for drinking water? 

Is a hot water faucet handle required to be on the left? 

What is a dielectric union? 

What's that powdery crust on the pipe connections at the water heater? 

Why is old galvanized steel water pipe a problem for homebuyers?

What does polybutylene pipe look like? Why is it a problem? 

• Which water pipes are an insurance problem and possibly uninsurable?

• Can you connect CPVC pipe directly to a gas water heater?  

     Visit our PLUMBING page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles. 

How To Look At A House

McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of  

site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes






Air Conditioner & Furnace Age/Size




Aging in Place


Click Below  

for Links

to Collections

of Blog Posts

by Subject


Doors and Windows


Energy Efficiency

Fireplaces and Chimneys

Heating and Air Conditioning

Home Inspection

Hurricane Resistance

Electrical Receptacle Outlets

Electrical Panels

Garages and Carports

Common Problems

Exterior Walls & Structures



Life Expectancy

Mobile/Manufactured Homes

Older and

Historic Houses

Mold, Lead & Other Contaminants

Modular Homes

Metal Roofs



Pool and Spa

Roof and Attic




"Should I Buy A..."


Termites, Wood Rot

& Pests

Structure and Rooms


Water Heaters

Water Heater Age

Septic Tank Systems

Plumbing Pipes


When It First

Became Code

Park Model Homes

Shingle Roofs


Wind Mitigation Form

"Does A Home


"What Is The Difference Between..."


Concrete and

Concrete Block


Rain Gutters


Crawl Spaces

Building Permits

Clay Soil




HUD-Code for

Mobile Homes

Flat (Low Slope) Roofs

Sprinkler Systems

4-Point Inspections

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Building Codes

Inspector Licensing

& Standards

Washers and Dryers



Electrical Wiring

Plumbing Drains

and Traps

Smoke & CO Alarms

Top 5 results given instantly.

Click on magnifying glass

for all search results.



Electrical Switches


Water Intrusion

Electrical - Old

and Obsolete

Foundation Certifications

Tiny Houses

About Us