Are bathroom accessories like a toilet paper holder, towel bar, or grab bar required by the building code?

Sunday, June 17, 2018

While a toilet paper holder and towel bar are expected by homebuyers, especially in new construction, we know of no building code requirement that they be installed in a private residence. Local housing authorities may have specifications for them in the properties under their jurisdiction, however, and there are also standards for toilet paper holders and grab bars for ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) compliance in public bathrooms.

   Having grab bars in a bathroom and the readily accessible placement of other bathroom accessories becomes more important as people age; but, again, they are not a building code requirement. These features are now often included in new homes in 55+ communities and being retrofitted in existing homes as part of the “Aging in Place” programs to help seniors stay in their home longer. For more on this, see our blog post What are the "Aging In Place" features to look for when buying a retirement home?

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about PLUMBING:

 How can I protect my pipes to keep them from bursting during a hard winter freeze in North Florida?

 Why is there sand in the bottom of my toilet tank?  

 What causes a gurgling sound when a bathtub or sink drains? 

 Are drop-in toilet bowl cleaner tablets safe? 

 What can I add to my septic tank to help it work better?

 What are the code requirements for layout of drain piping under sinks? 

 Why is there mold inside my toilet tank?  

 What are the pros and cons of a wall-mounted toilet?

 Which plumbing fixtures require water shut off valves in a home? 

 How can I tell if a house is connected to a septic tank system or sewer?

 Are plastic pipes (PVC, CPVC, and PEX) safe for drinking water? 

 Why is a backflow preventer required on lawn sprinkler systems? 

 How can I locate my septic tank? 

 Is a hot water faucet handle required to be on the left? 

 Can you live in a house while the plumbing is being replaced? 

 Why is the European-style bottle trap not approved by the plumbing codes in the U.S.? 

 Why can't PVC be used for water pipe inside a house? 

 What are the common problems to look for when the plumbing has been replaced in a house? 

 What's that powdery crust on the pipe connections at the water heater? 

 How can I tell what type of plumbing pipe I have? 

   What causes low water pressure in a house?

 Should I call a plumber or septic tank contractor when my septic tank backs up into the house? 

 How do I get rid of the sewer gas smell in my house?  

 What are the pipes on my roof? 

 Should I wrap the water heater with an insulation blanket? 

 My water bill went way up last month. How do I look for a leak?

 Why does the water have a rotten-egg smell in some empty houses? 

 What is an "S-Trap" under my sink? Why is it a problem? 

 Where is the septic tank? Are you going to inspect it? 

 What does polybutylene pipe look like? Why is it a problem?

 Which water pipes are an insurance problem and possibly uninsurable? 

• Does a home inspector check the plumbing under the floor slab?

• Is it alright to disconnect the washing machine drain from the septic tank and divert it to the ground in the yard?

      Visit our PLUMBING page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.  


How To Look At A House

McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of  

site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes






Air Conditioner & Furnace Age/Size




Aging in Place


Click Below  

for Links

to Collections

of Blog Posts

by Subject


Doors and Windows


Energy Efficiency

Fireplaces and Chimneys

Heating and Air Conditioning

Home Inspection

Hurricane Resistance

Electrical Receptacle Outlets

Electrical Panels

Garages and Carports

Common Problems

Exterior Walls & Structures



Life Expectancy

Mobile/Manufactured Homes

Older and

Historic Houses

Mold, Lead & Other Contaminants

Modular Homes

Metal Roofs



Pool and Spa

Roof and Attic




"Should I Buy A..."


Termites, Wood Rot

& Pests

Structure and Rooms


Water Heaters

Water Heater Age

Septic Tank Systems

Plumbing Pipes


When It First

Became Code

Park Model Homes

Shingle Roofs


Wind Mitigation Form

"Does A Home


"What Is The Difference Between..."


Concrete and

Concrete Block


Rain Gutters


Crawl Spaces

Building Permits

Clay Soil




HUD-Code for

Mobile Homes

Flat (Low Slope) Roofs

Sprinkler Systems

4-Point Inspections

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Building Codes

Inspector Licensing

& Standards

Washers and Dryers



Electrical Wiring

Plumbing Drains

and Traps

Smoke & CO Alarms

Top 5 results given instantly.

Click on magnifying glass

for all search results.



Electrical Switches


Water Intrusion

Electrical - Old

and Obsolete

Foundation Certifications

Tiny Houses

About Us