How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
STRUCTURE AND ROOMS
Saturday, May 26, 2018
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about STRUCTURE AND ROOMS:
• Why is the grout cracking and coming loose at my floor tile?
• What are the building code requirements for notching and boring holes in a wall stud?
• What causes dark or light "ghost" lines on ceilings and walls?
• Why is a garage floor sloped?
• Can you access or exit a bedroom through another bedroom?
• What is the difference between a carport and a garage?
• What are simple ways to find the cause of a ceiling stain?
• What is the minimum size of habitable rooms in a house according to the building code?
• Why is a carpeted bathroom a bad idea?
• Why is my garage ceiling sagging?
• How can I identify what kind of wood flooring I am looking at?
• Why does the laminate wood floor move when I walk across it?
• Is painted bathroom tile acceptable?
• Why does my concrete floor slab sweat and get slippery?
• What is the minimum ceiling height for rooms in a house?
• Why are there score line grooves in the concrete floor of the garage?
• How much can I cut out of a floor joist?
• How can I tell if my floors are sloping?
• Why do the floors slope in this old house?
• What are the common problems when a homeowner converts a garage to conditioned living space, such as a family room?
• How can I tell if a wall is load-bearing? Which walls can I take out?
• What is the code requirement for fire separation in attic between sides of a duplex?
• When was a fire separation in the attic first required between sides of a duplex?
• What are the code requirements for fire separation between an attached garage and the house?
• Can a bedroom door open into the garage?
• How can formaldehyde gas in a house be a problem?
• Does an attached garage that is only used for storage or as a workshop, and not for parking a car, still have to comply with building code requirements for a garage?
• What is the minimum height above ground for wood floor joists and girders/beams?
• What causes a vertical crack in drywall?
• Where are the places to look to find structural cracks in a house?
• What causes drywall cracks in the ceilings and walls of a house?
• Where is a 6-mil polyethylene (Visqueen) vapor retarder not required under a concrete floor slab on grade?
• Why is there a "WARNING! POST-TENSION SLAB" sticker in my house?
• What causes cracks to open along the line between the ceiling and walls?
• How can I tell if cracks in the wall or floor are getting worse or staying the same?
• Should I buy a house with bouncy, spongy, or squeaky floors?
• What are the requirements for a room to be classified as a bedroom?
• Can I remove the interior walls under a roof truss?
• What are the code requirements for light fixtures in a closet?
• What is the definition of a habitable space int the building code?
• What is the code minimum ceiling height in a laundry room?
• What is the code minimum ceiling height in a bathroom?
• What is the minimum width of a hallway?
• What causes a garage floor to crack?
• What does concrete spalling look like?
• What is the code minimum height for a hallway ceiling?
• What is the code minimum ceiling height for a garage?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.