How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the probability of having high radon in a Florida house?
Sunday, November 18, 2018
The Florida Department of Health keeps statistics on the test results of all licensed radon professionals in the Florida, and you can find out the percentage of tested homes in your zip code that exceeded the 4.0 p/ci maxium set by the EPA at: http://dchpexternalapps.doh.state.fl.us/radon/default.aspx
The use of this database has a couple of limitations:
- Some zip codes do not have enough test data to provide a percentage and, in other zip codes, the number of tests is not enough to provide good statistical accuracy.
- Because it is possible to have elevated radon in one home and an acceptable radon level in a house next door, the only way to know for sure is to test your home.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about “RADON":
• Is a radon mitigation fan required to be on a dedicated circuit breaker/fuse in the electric panel?
• What happens to a radon test result if the windows were opened, the test device moved, or there was any other evidence of tampering during the test?
• Where do I find the Florida laws regarding radon?
• Can I test vacant land for radon before building a house?
• Is radon mitigation possible for a condominium?
• Do radon mitigation systems require maintenance?
• What is the average life expectancy of a radon mitigation system?
• Do older houses have higher radon levels than new houses?
• Can the seller tamper with a homebuyer's radon test to change the results?
• How long does it take to get the results of a radon test?
• Will opening the windows reduce the radon level in a house?
• How was it determined that between 15,000 and 22,000 lung cancer deaths each year are caused by radon?
• Can a homebuyer do their own radon test for a real estate transaction with a self-test kit?
• What is the danger of radon in well water?
• What are the symptoms of radon poisoning?
• For how many years does an old radon test result remain valid?
• Should homeowners get a pre-listing radon test before selling their home?
• What are a homebuyer's options when the radon test comes back high (4.0 pico-curies/liter or more)?
• Do granite countertops emit radon?
• How can I tell if a house has a radon mitigation system?
• Can a mobile/manufactured home have a high radon problem?
• Do I need to test for radon when buying a condominium?
• What does a radon mitigation contractor do to lower the radon level in a home?
• How can not testing for radon be an expensive mistake for homebuyers?
• Will the radon test come back sky-high in a house that has been empty and closed-up for months?
• What is radon? Should I be concerned about it?
• Should I buy a house with a high radon level?
• What is the average radon level of indoor and outdoor air in America?
• What is the operating cost of a radon mitigation system?
• Should I buy a house with a radon mitigation system?
• Does the buyer or seller of a home pay for radon mitigation when the radon test comes back high?
• How quickly do I need to reduce a high radon level in my house?
• Does a home inspector check for radon?
• What are the problems with underground return air ducts?
• What is the probability of having high radon in a Florida house?
• What factors can change radon test levels up or down?
Visit our RADON page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.