What should I bring to the home inspection?
Tuesday, October 2, 2018
We suggest bringing along some, or all, of the following items to help you get the most out of your next home inspection:
- Tape Measure - For checking dimensions for furniture layouts, window treatments, and appliance locations.
- Camera - Although the home inspector will take photos of the defects, you may want additional general photos to refer to later.
- Notepad - For diagrams and inspection notes.
- Flashlight - Nothing fancy, just bright enough to peek into the dark corners of closets and cabinets.
- Seller’s Disclosure Documents - If there are things in the seller’s disclosure that you want to review with the inspector, be sure to bring it along.
- List of Questions - Have a list of your concerns and questions prepared beforehand to be sure they will all be addressed by the inspector.
Also, if you are buying an empty (unoccupied) home, there’s a few more items to consider bringing for your personal comfort. We bring these supplies to each inspection for our customers, but pack your own if you are not sure if your inspector will arrive prepared to keep you comfortable:
- Folding chair - Standing on your feet for the several hours it takes to complete a home inspection can be unpleasant, especially for senior citizens.
- Toilet paper - There never seems to be any next to the toilet in an empty house.
- Something to drink - A bottle of water or other beverage.
Also, see our blog post What questions should I ask the home inspector during the inspection?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
To learn more strategies for getting the best possible home inspection, here’s a few of our other blog posts:
To read about issues related to homes of particular type or one built in a specific decade, visit one of these blog posts:
How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.