How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manufactured and modular homes
What is the wind mitigation inspection for homeowner's insurance?
Thursday, October 25, 2018
What your insurance agent calls a “wind letter” or “wind mitigation form” is officially known as the “Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form.” The purpose of the form is to verify hurricane-resistant structural features of your home so that you can receive insurance discounts on the windstorm portion of your homeowner’s policy. You cannot do the inspection yourself. It must be completed by a Florida-licensed contractor, home inspector, architect, or engineer, and includes photos that document the wind-resistant features found by the inspector.
Here are the things that comprise the inspection:
- Roof Covering. Does the roof meet the 2001 Florida Building Code? Roofs installed after March 1st, 2002 meet this criterion.
- Roof Deck Attachment. How is the roof deck (typically plywood sheathing) attached to the trusses or rafters below?
- Roof To Wall Attachment. How are the trusses or rafters attached to the wall below?
- Roof Geometry. What shape is the roof? The best shape for hurricane resistance is a hip roof (roof sloped inward on all sides).
- Secondary Water Resistance. Typically this would be a self-adhered modified bitumen roofing underlayment (such as Grace Ice and Water Shield) or a foam barrier. Secondary water resistance is not usually added in residential construction, but it does get you a nice discount.
- Opening Protection. What type of hurricane shutters or impact resistant windows and doors are installed in the home?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about INSURANCE:
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.