A “D-sticker” manufactured home, also called an “Exposure D,” is a Wind Zone 2 or 3 home on steroids. It has been further strengthened to to meet the wind resistance requirement of ASCE 7-88, Exposure D—which is a standard referenced in the HUD Code. It is specifically for homes to be sited within 1,500 feet of the coastline in hurricane wind prone areas of the country. HUD interpets Exposure D as just coastline, and does not include bays, rivers, or lakes.
HUD enacted the new wind resistance category on July 13th, 1994. The additional reinforcement is necessary because hurricane winds and wind-blown debris coming off the water are more fierce than further inland, where trees and buildings in the way have disrupted and slowed down the wind pattern somewhat.
To learn more about wind zones, see our blog post Where are Wind Zone 2 and Wind Zone 3 for mobile homes located?. Also, to find out where to locate the data plate for a manufactured home, where the wind zone it was designed for is listed, read our blog post How do I find out how old a mobile home is and who manufactured it?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES:
• Where can I file a complaint if I have problems with my new or used manufactured/mobile home in Florida?
• What are the most common defects in mobile/manufactured home foundation piers?
• How do I determine the age of a very old mobile home?
• What is a "HUD label verification letter" for a mobile/manufactured home?
• When did a ground cover vapor barrier (plastic sheet) become required under a mobile/manufactured home?
• Is it safe to go under a mobile home?
• Are older mobile homes unsafe?
• What do I need to know about buying a foreclosed mobile home?
• Does it make sense to buy an older mobile home and remodel it?
• Where do I find the vehicle identification number (VIN) on a mobile home?
• What is the right price for a used mobile home?
• How energy efficient is a mobile home?
• When were the first double-wide mobile homes manufactured?
• How do I upgrade my old (pre-1976) mobile home to meet HUD standards?
• What size air conditioner is right for my mobile home?
• Can you move an older mobile home in Florida?
• What does the HUD tag look like and where do I find it on a mobile home?
• Can you put a zone 1 mobile home in Florida?
• How can I remove water under my mobile home?
• What's the differences between a trailer, a mobile home, a manufactured home, and a modular home?
• What are the tie-down requirements for a mobile home?
• How fireproof is a mobile home?
• Can I install a mobile home myself?
• What is a Park Model mobile home?
• Does an addition to a mobile home have to comply with the HUD Code?
• What walls can I remove in a mobile home?
• What can I do to prevent dampness and mold in my mobile home?
• How can I tell if a mobile home is well constructed?
• How can I tell the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home?
Visit our MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.