How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Is it illegal to remove the HUD tag (verification label) from a mobile/manufactured home?
Thursday, October 25, 2018
HUD has extensive specifications for the design and installation of the required “red tag” on each unit of a mobile home, which you can read about at our blog post What does the HUD tag look like and where do I find it on a mobile home?. But there is no government penalty that we know of for removing the tag—except that it will likely a create a problem for you later when you are ready to sell or refinance your home.
HUD does not issue replacement tags if yours is missing, but you can get a “Letter of Label (HUD tag) Verification” from the Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS), a HUD contractor, by visiting IBTS website at http://www.ibts.org/services/services-in-the-public-good/cert-label-verification.html. You can also call the IBTS Label Department at (703) 481-2010 or via fax at: (703) 437-6894 for assistance. There is a fee and it will be necessary to provide them with documentation, such as the VIN number, or HUD tag number if you know it. For more details, see our blog post What is a "HUD label verification letter" for a mobile/manufactured home?.
Also, go to our HUD-CODE FOR MOBILE HOMES page for a listing of our other HUD-code articles.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES:
• Where can I file a complaint if I have problems with my new or used manufactured/mobile home in Florida?
• What are the most common defects in mobile/manufactured home foundation piers?
• How do I determine the age of a very old mobile home?
• What is a "HUD label verification letter" for a mobile/manufactured home?
• When did a ground cover vapor barrier (plastic sheet) become required under a mobile/manufactured home?
• Is it safe to go under a mobile home?
• Are older mobile homes unsafe?
• What do I need to know about buying a foreclosed mobile home?
• Does it make sense to buy an older mobile home and remodel it?
• Where do I find the vehicle identification number (VIN) on a mobile home?
• How do I find out how old a mobile home is and who manufactured it?
• What is the right price for a used mobile home?
• How energy efficient is a mobile home?
• When were the first double-wide mobile homes manufactured?
• How do I upgrade my old (pre-1976) mobile home to meet HUD standards?
• What size air conditioner is right for my mobile home?
• Can you move an older mobile home in Florida?
• What does the HUD tag look like and where do I find it on a mobile home?
• Can you put a zone 1 mobile home in Florida?
• How can I remove water under my mobile home?
• What's the differences between a trailer, a mobile home, a manufactured home, and a modular home?
• What is a D-sticker mobile home?
• What are the tie-down requirements for a mobile home?
• How fireproof is a mobile home?
• Can I install a mobile home myself?
• What is a Park Model mobile home?
• Does an addition to a mobile home have to comply with the HUD Code?
• What walls can I remove in a mobile home?
• What can I do to prevent dampness and mold in my mobile home?
• How can I tell if a mobile home is well constructed?
• How can I tell the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home?
Visit our MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.