How To Look At A House

McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of  

site-built, mobile/manufactured and modular homes

How do I get insurance if my home failed a 4-point inspection?

Friday, October 26, 2018

Most insurance companies require a satisfactory 4-point inspection report be submitted to them before they will insure an older home—typically more than 40 to 50 years old or so, depending on the company. The purpose of the inspection is to determine if there are any deteriorated or unsafe conditions in the home that have developed due to its age, which have the potential to cause an insurance claim in the future. The four “points” are: roof, plumbing, electrical, and heating/air conditioning. To learn more about 4-point inspections and what are the most common 4-point defects, we suggest that you read one of our other blogs at Why does my homeowner's insurance want a four point inspection?

   But if the inspector turns up so many defects during the 4-point inspection that the insurance company declines to insure the property until they are fixed, there is another option. It’s called a “builder’s risk” or, sometimes, a “vacant property” or “surplus lines” policy, and is often purchased by remodelers that buy uninhabitable houses in order to have insurance while they are repairing them for resale.

   One company that writes this type of policy is Tapco Insurance Underwriters. You cannot buy the policy directly from the company, and need to find a local independent insurance agent that represents them.

   There are virtually no requirements, other than providing an address, in order to secure this type of insurance. The downside is that it’s expensive; so you only want to use it for as long as it takes to get the house improved sufficiently to pass a 4-point inspection. The minimum policy term offered is usually 6-months.

   As far as we know, no company offers this type of policy for a manufactured/mobile home. Also, many policies include a clause that does not allow you to get a refund for the unused portion if you complete your repairs quickly, and want to cancel and switch to standard homeowner’s insurance before the end of the policy term. 

    Also, see our blog post Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Four-Point Inspections.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 

  To learn more strategies for getting the best possible home inspection, here’s a few of our other blog posts:

How can I make sure I don't get screwed on my home inspection? 

How thorough is a home inspector required to be when inspecting a house?

Should I trust the Seller's Property Disclosure Statement?

Can I do my own home inspection?

How can homebuyers protect themselves against buying a house over a sinkhole? 

The seller gave me a report from a previous home inspection. Should I use it or get my own inspector? 

If we already looked at the house very carefully, do we still need a home inspection?

    To read about issues related to homes of particular type or one built in a specific decade, visit one of these blog posts:

What are the common problems to look for when buying a 1940s house?

What are the common problems to look for when buying a 1950s house?

What are the common problems to look for when buying a 1960s house?

• What are the common problems to look for when buying a 1970s house?

What are the common problems to look for when buying a 1980s house?

What are the common problems to look for when buying a 1990s house?

What problems should I look for when buying a country house or rural property? 

What problems should I look for when buying a house that has been moved?

What do I need to know about buying a foreclosure? 

What should I look for when buying a former rental house?  

What problems should I look for when buying a house that has been vacant or abandoned?

What are the most common problems with older mobile homes?

What should I look for when buying a house that is being "flipped" by an investor seller? 

What do I need to know about a condo inspection?

What are the "Aging In Place" features to look for when buying a retirement home?

   Visit our HOME INSPECTION page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.

Water Heaters

Water Heater Age

"What Are The

Signs Of..."

Septic Tank Systems

Structure and Rooms

Plumbing Pipes

Termites, Wood Rot

& Pests



When It First

Became Code

"Should I Buy A..."

Park Model Homes


Shingle Roofs




Wind Mitigation

Roof and Attic

"Does A Home


Pool and Spa

"What Is The Difference Between..."




Concrete and

Concrete Block

Metal Roofs


Modular Homes

Rain Gutters

Mold, Lead & Other Contaminants


Older and

Historic Houses

Crawl Spaces

Mobile-Manufactured Homes

Building Permits

Life Expectancy

Clay Soil





Exterior Walls

& Structures


Common Problems

HUD-Code for

Mobile Homes

Garages and Carports

Flat (Low Slope) Roofs

Electrical Panels

Sprinkler Systems

Electrical Receptacle Outlets

4-Point Inspections

Hurricane Resistance

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Home Inspection

Heating and Air Conditioning

Building Codes

Fireplaces and Chimneys

Inspector Licensing

& Standards

Energy Efficiency

Washers and Dryers



Doors and Windows



Electrical Wiring

Click Below  

for Links

to Collections

of Blog Posts

by Subject

Plumbing Drains

and Traps


Smoke & CO Alarms

Aging in Place

Top 5 results given instantly.

Click on magnifying glass

for all search results.






Air Conditioner & Furnace Age/Size


Electrical Switches





Water Intrusion

Electrical - Old

and Obsolete


Foundation Certifications

Tiny Houses

About McGarry and Madsen



Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a  team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.

Moisture Problems

Crawl Spaces