Section 320.8249, Florida Statutes (F.S.), requires that anyone who will install a mobile/manufactured home must be licensed by the Manufactured Housing Section, Division of Motorist Services, Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Two main reasons for the law are that mobile home installation on piers is dangerous work, and the home must be tied-down to exacting specifications to be safe in a storm. This law also requires that licensed installers must put an installation decal on every home they install certifying that the home was installed in accordance with state regulations. The decal includes a label number, the installer’s name and license number, order number, and the date the home was installed.
Many installers are affiliated with or work for a manufactured/mobile home dealer. The State of Florida also maintains a list of licensed installers (not all of them will be active) at: https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicles-tags-titles/dealers-installers-manufacturers-distributors-importers/mobile-home-installer/list-of-licensed-mobile-home-installers/
Also, see our blog post Can you move an older mobile home in Florida?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES:
• Where can I file a complaint if I have problems with my new or used manufactured/mobile home in Florida?
• What are the most common defects in mobile/manufactured home foundation piers?
• How do I determine the age of a very old mobile home?
• What is a "HUD label verification letter" for a mobile/manufactured home?
• When did a ground cover vapor barrier (plastic sheet) become required under a mobile/manufactured home?
• Is it safe to go under a mobile home?
• Are older mobile homes unsafe?
• What do I need to know about buying a foreclosed mobile home?
• Does it make sense to buy an older mobile home and remodel it?
• Where do I find the vehicle identification number (VIN) on a mobile home?
• How do I find out how old a mobile home is and who manufactured it?
• What is the right price for a used mobile home?
• How energy efficient is a mobile home?
• When were the first double-wide mobile homes manufactured?
• How do I upgrade my old (pre-1976) mobile home to meet HUD standards?
• What size air conditioner is right for my mobile home?
• What does the HUD tag look like and where do I find it on a mobile home?
• Can you put a zone 1 mobile home in Florida?
• How can I remove water under my mobile home?
• What's the differences between a trailer, a mobile home, a manufactured home, and a modular home?
• What is a D-sticker mobile home?
• What are the tie-down requirements for a mobile home?
• How fireproof is a mobile home?
• What is a Park Model mobile home?
• Does an addition to a mobile home have to comply with the HUD Code?
• What walls can I remove in a mobile home?
• What can I do to prevent dampness and mold in my mobile home?
• How can I tell if a mobile home is well constructed?
• How can I tell the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home?
Visit our MOBILE/MANUFACTURED HOMES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.